Congratulations on your engagement!
Now you can enjoy the exciting aspects of planning your wedding, such as selecting a venue, photographer, wedding dress, and other lovely items. However, it's essential to keep in mind any unforeseen expenses.
There are many hidden costs associated with weddings that couples may not initially consider when creating their budget.
Kinnitty Castle Hotel, Birr, co. Offlay
Some of these hidden costs include:
1. The legal & paperwork fee is €200. This is payable directly to the Registrar's office and it includes your legal marriage certificate. Some churches may suggest a donation for weddings held which can be in the region of €200-€250 for one's local parish, or up to €400 for a non-local parish. (Co. Waterford). Celebrant €400-€700.
2. Alterations: When purchasing a wedding dress or suit, alterations are often necessary to ensure a perfect fit. These alterations can be costly, especially if significant changes need to be made. The average price for most dresses are between €150 and €350 and up to €400 if the fabric is beaded, lace or a lot of hand work is involved.
3. Day before / Day after outfits. The key is to choose outfits that are comfortable, stylish, and appropriate for the various events of your wedding day. Don't forget to have fun and express your personal style and taste.
4. When you're counting the cost of your wedding outfits, try to look beyond the obvious: shoes, lingerie, perfume, hair accessories, etc.
5. Beauty trials. Many professional hair and makeup artists will charge for a trial ahead of the big day, but it’s well worth doing to avoid any disappointment.
6. Out of season flowers. Have a chat with your florist about the flowers you want vs. what are in season before you design your bouquets.
7. Postage: Invitations, save-the-dates, and thank-you cards all require postage, which can add up quickly. From February 1, 2023 the price of a national stamp will go up by 10c to €1.35.
Premium Wedding stationery The Aisle.ie
8. Transportation: If the wedding ceremony and reception are at different locations, transportation costs for the wedding party and guests may need to be factored in.
9. Wedding Breakfast. They say breakfast is the most important meal of the day and even more so on the morning of your wedding.
10. Overtime fees: If the wedding festivities run longer than expected, some vendors may charge overtime fees.
11. Additional décor: While some venues may provide basic décor, couples may want to add additional decorations to personalize the space. These additional items can add up quickly, especially if they need to be purchased rather than rented.
12. Some venues might have wedding reception corkage fees.
13. Wedding party gifts: It's customary to give gifts to the wedding party as a thank-you for their participation in the wedding. These gifts can add up, especially if there are many members in the wedding party.
14. Parents gifts! Firstly, they offer an opportunity for the couple to thank their parents for their love, support, and guidance throughout their lives. Secondly, parents often contribute financially or in other ways to the wedding, and a gift is a meaningful way to thank them for their generosity. Thirdly, it symbolizes the start of a new chapter in the couple's lives and acknowledges the role their parents have played in shaping their future.
15. Wedding insurance. Wedding insurance is essential because it provides financial protection in case of unforeseen events that could disrupt or cancel the wedding. For example, if extreme weather conditions or a natural disaster occurs, the venue may become inaccessible, and the wedding will need to be postponed or canceled. In such cases, wedding insurance can cover the expenses associated with rescheduling the event or compensating for lost deposits. Similarly, if a vendor fails to deliver the expected services or goes out of business, wedding insurance can cover the costs of finding a replacement. Additionally, wedding insurance can provide liability coverage in case someone is injured during the event, protecting the couple from potential lawsuits.
Overall, wedding insurance provides peace of mind and financial protection for one of the most important days in a couple's life. Wedding insurance starts as little as €73 with cancellation cover up to €40000.
16. Unexpected wedding guests!
17. Post wedding costs. Budget any post-wedding spending, for example, dry cleaning the wedding dress, thank you cards, wedding albums, etc.
Plan, plan, plan and always budget for a little more than you think you’ll need!
Are there any other hidden wedding costs? Let me know in comments.